Business Analyst / Consultant - Defence
Our client is a successful technical consultancy providing they provide professional services to global, defence, energy, space and intelligence & communications companies.
As a Business Analyst you will be providing the evidence to help the UK MOD and defence industry to make better decisions. This may be working in customer teams to support business cases with analytical thinking and outcomes, modelling of operational performance and sustainment, or leading workshops with customers and Subject Matter Experts to improve policies and planning processes.
The Operational Analysis team are looking for business analysts with a range of levels of experience, but not necessarily from within defence. They are interested in people who engage customers technically and personally, with the ability to apply their expertise to new situations and problems to provide analytical insight. They need people who work to improve themselves and others, and have the positive, flexible and self-motivated attitude necessary for working in a small company. Your work will support departmental policy, acquisition projects, ongoing operational efficiency, and business cases. You will present and engage with customers and stakeholders and undertake a range of modelling and analysis.
The Business Analyst responsibilities will include:
- Delivering analytical consulting projects.
- Building new relationships and maintaining the relationships we have with our current customers.
- Using and developing problem structuring and analysis methods and a variety of tools and techniques, including novel approaches where required.
- Working organically in customer teams to deliver rapid turn-around analysis or using one of the company’s offices as a team hub from which to plan and deliver tasks.
- Identifying and winning work within the Defence sector.
Business Analyst expertise required:
Our client is looking for a range of experience:
- Consultants: 1.5+ years’ experience, including delivering qualitative and/or quantitative business analysis;
- Senior Consultants: 5+ years’ experience, including delivering business analysis programmes, delivering innovative approaches, and / or winning work; and
- Principal Consultants: 8+ years’ experience, with extensive experience of leading business analysis, leading teams, developing and sharing skills, delivering innovative approaches and / or winning work.
Business Analyst essential requirements:
Business Analysis to support decision-making, process or policy development, and / or research, including both problem structuring and mapping / modelling. Structuring information, drawing conclusions and making recommendations.
Development and use of analytical methods and models.
Building customer and stakeholder relationships.
Supporting and leading authoring of technical reports and presenting to customers. Reporting appropriately for the audience: summarising complex information for high-level stakeholders and writing detailed reports to transfer knowledge and context with the customer.
Strong background in MS Office, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Word.
Experience in one or more of the following technical disciplines:
- Process and / or conceptual mapping (e.g. influence diagrams),
- Statistical analysis, including the use of R, Tableau, PowerBI, QlikView, SAS or other analytics tools,
- Operational Analysis
- Mathematical Modelling
- Simulation (System Dynamics, Discrete Event Simulation, Agent Based Modelling) or other business modelling,
- Designing and facilitating workshops and stakeholder interviews,
- Data manipulation / cleansing and analysis languages (VBA, SQL, R, Python),
- Cost analysis/estimation,
- Portfolio, programme and project management (schedule and risk analysis, benefits realization, evidence management).
Be willing to travel across UK and comfortable to work away from main sites for periods of time.
For more Senior positions, they would expect some experience in the following:
Leading diverse analytical teams of in-house and external experts and advising other consultants and supporting when required on projects.
Identifying and winning future work.
Understanding of management structures, organisational design and governance.
Strong knowledge of business cases, procurement considerations, and determining system influences and benefits.
Candidates will ideally have current SC or DV Clearance, must have an existing right to live and work in the UK due to the nature for the MOD/Defence programmes our client is working on.
Keywords: Modelling, Operational Research, Operational Analysis, Defence, MOD, MS Office, Excel Spreadsheet, Excel Advanced, PowerPoint, Statistical Analysis, Tableau, PowerBI, QlikView, SAS, Simulation, Systems Dynamics, Discrete Event Simulation, Agent Based Modelling, VBA, SQL, R, Python
Business Analyst / Consultant - Defence
Salary: £35,000 to £60,000 negotiable plus benefits
Location: Bristol or Fareham, Hampshire