Manufacturing Engineer – Aerospace/Defence
Salary: £35,000 to £50,000 with excellent benefits including pension, gym membership, 26 days holiday, medical, dental plus many others
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Our client is a highly successful international company and a leading supplier of major civil & military aircraft structures & systems. They offer excellent career progression with continual training and mentoring
The Manufacturing Engineers role will be focused on the site’s military programs, this includes final and sub-assembly process generation/improvements, MRO/RTW (Return to Work) surveys and manufacturing process generation for complex military fuel tank and canopy assemblies, technical support of probe refuelling equipment, associated build and test processes whilst offering technical shop floor support to enable on time, on cost with improved FTY and to reduce the cost of non-quality within the value stream.
Requirements for the Manufacturing Engineer:
- Degree/HNC in Engineering or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Good leadership skills including coaching and team engagement
- Detailed knowledge of metallics manufacturing processes (sheet metal or machining).
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, including stakeholder management.
- Ability to manage multiple complex assignments/priorities and achieve results.
- Strong organisational skills with a high attention to detail
- Highly effective problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Desirable skills for the Manufacturing Engineer:
- Project management skills.
- Positive approach to challenging situations.
- Six Sigma Green Belt trained and certified.
- Experience in a metallics manufacturing environment.
- Prepared to travel within the UK and overseas to meet the customer and/or our suppliers (occasional).
Responsibilities for the role of Manufacturing Engineer:
- Facilitate all elements of manufacturing engineering such as process planning, tooling, inspection criteria/equipment, lean methodologies
- Generate internal engineering instructions to enable manufacturing and control costs/quality within the engineering team.
- Understand and liaise with customers to support both internal and external customer needs
- Support New Technology Initiatives (NTI) and equipment upgrades from purchase through to installation and commissioning. Share best practices with other company’s locations
- Support New Product Introduction (NPI) both from a Design for Manufacture (DFM) perspective and operational performance implementation
- Support the tooling function, identify tooling needs and support tool design from concept through to final design
- Conduct cost/benefit analysis for changes to processes and/or equipment
- Ensure processes contribute to a safe working environment and meet EHS requirements. Support/lead EHS projects
- Identify and reduce product quality issues caused by process variation
- Track/drive root cause analysis and corrective actions for production issues
- Define, enable and measure process capability
- Utilise lean-manufacturing principles and participate/lead in action workouts to improve process capability, improve quality, reduce overall costs and increase capacity
- Lead/support training activities within the manufacturing environment
- Prioritisation of workload and project planning to support customer needs
- Participate/lead in local and site wide initiatives
- Understand customer needs(internal and external), identify resource requirements, resource and/or prioritise workload accordingly, including management of stakeholders.
- Undertake strategic workforce planning (SWP) & people reviews to ensure team performance, development and capability aligns with business need.
- Ensure processes contribute to a safe working environment and meet EHS requirements. Actively lead / support EHS projects and pursuits.
- Advocate for the company’s business processes & rigor whilst looking for opportunity to develop and implement improvements.
- Lead / participate in local and site wide initiatives and projects as required.
Keywords: Manufacturing Engineer, Manufacturing Engineering, Aerospace, Defence, Assembly, Military, Defence, NPI, Lean, Design for Manufacture, DFM, Tooling,