Principal Software Development Engineer
Our client is a well-established technical innovations company. they make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centres. Our client is seeking a top-flight developer to join their lively and dynamic development team to develop service solutions to mobile telecom operators around the world. Located in Newbury, Berkshire with some remote working. Hybrid role.
You will join a team working on the next generation of scalable assurance systems developing a micro service architecture utilising leading edge containerised Linux instances orchestrated by Kubernetes. The solution must be reliable as it scales to handle the very high data rates and offer options to flexibly manage the load and provide graceful degradation if overloaded, ensuring the it provides the best service to our clients customers.
The team is divided into several multi-disciplinary sub teams covering the suite of solutions organised into vertical delivery streams supporting a full CI/CD pipeline using an Agile development process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with all areas of our clients business to deliver high quality software solutions. Take a lead role in ensuring the software meets its functional, performance and quality goals
- Work with product managers, architects, and other stakeholders in the business to define and refine the design of our software solutions
- Design and develop software primarily in Java, or C++ on Linux systems
- Lead the design and architecture of the software solutions and use your experience to act as a technical innovator in introducing new ideas, techniques, and technologies particularly around the adoption of highly scalable micro service architectures
- Lead or participate in design reviews, feature, and release content reviews
- Lead or participate in sprint planning, story estimation and sprint retrospectives in a multi-disciplined Agile product team
- Use your experience to review the work and mentor more junior members of the team
- Provide support to the wider multifunctional team that includes DevOps, Product management, product Documentation, Support and Service teams
Required Qualifications & Experience
- A proven track record in all aspects of software development activities developing complex commercial software
- Extensive software development experience with Java and or C++ preferred
- Extensive experience of working in a Linux environment ideally on enterprise systems
- Knowledge and experience of micro service architectures including containerization, and experience of Kubernetes and Kafka
- A hands-on engineer with the experience and diligence to work on their own, within a team and closely with other stakeholders to deliver high quality solutions.
- Must be willing to take full responsibility for your own and the team’s activities including planning, architecture, design, and implementation. Demonstrable examples of previous technical leadership of software projects.
- Experience on working in a CI/CD SW development pipeline.
- Proven ability to adapt their skills to other programming and scripting languages, examples include Scala and Python.
Desired but not essential:
- Ideally a graduate of a Computer Science / Software degree
- Knowledge of mobile telecoms’, including 5G, LTE, core and or RAN systems highly desirable. Ideally having worked on systems in areas such as network planning, network optimization, protocol analysis or other software that supports the network technology.
- Knowledge of Atlassian product suite
- Knowledge of Vertica
Keywords: Principal Software Development Engineer, Linux, Kubernetes, CI/CD, Agile, Java, C++, Linux, Scala and Python, Computer Science, Software, mobile telecoms, 5G, LTE, core, RAN. Atlassian, Vertica
Principal Software Development Engineer
Location: Newbury, Berkshire with some remote working / hybrid role
Salary: Extremely competitive plus benefits