Senior Firmware Engineer – Radar Electronics Warfare, Communication Systems Surveillance Systems, Airborne Equipment, High Speed Digital Systems
The Senior Firmware Engineer is responsible for applying discipline domain expertise to the design, development and test of new and existing firmware products to meet the specified requirements. The Engineer will typically be part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) and will contribute to the performance of the IPT to ensure that the performance expectations are met or exceeded.
The Engineer will have responsibility for producing customer deliverable firmware in a structured, process driven environment. This will include, but is not limited to, development of the firmware design architecture, models, configuration of FPGA SoC components, firmware tests and documentation as well as being involved in the review, verification, place and route and meet timing processes. The Engineer shall employ the appropriate processes, practices and tools to ensure that responsibilities are completed to meet the required project requirements with the needed quality.
As the Senior Firmware Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Familiarity with the product lifecycle from system requirements, architecture, algorithm development, modelling, design, integration, qualification, verification, through to production and support. Low level design would be an advantage
- Highly experienced in developing production firmware ideally for one or more of the following: radar, electronic warfare, communications and / or surveillance systems for an airborne environment
- Expertise in design, coding, debugging, reviewing and testing complex digital high-speed systems
- Proficient in digital implementation in VHDL language
- Proficient in designing digital processing components and algorithms in Matlab/Simulink design for HDL coder and targeting FPGA devices
- Must be proficient in scripting language Tcl
- Experience of block design, schematic design, IP integrator, and VHDL firmware development
- Experience of developing firmware I&Q signal processing, digital filter design and frame based sample streaming.
- Experience of implementing efficient resource and time critical firmware on latest technology ultra large FPGA and SoC devices.
- Ability to apply timing driven optimisation to achieve closure for place and route process
- Ability to write optimised efficient code.
- Experience of development environments including Vivado block design, IP Integrator, VHDL source code.
- Experience in writing VHDL testbenches to verify the firmware using Modelsim.
- Experience in Tcl scripting to support FPGA Vivado design and Modelsim simulation.
- An understanding of Configuration Management.
- Aptitude for complex problem solving
- Proficient and confident with version control systems e.g. GIT
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving and creativity
- Self-motivated, confident and assertive. Initiative and drive
- Good team player with ability to work in self-organised teams
- The ability to work within a large organization in a matrix management structure
- Strong technical report writing.
- Familiarity with engineering processes, practices and measures of performance for the discipline
- Ability to obtain a SC Security Clearance
- Proven ability to work and deliver to deadlines
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Educational qualifications: Minimum Technical Degree relating to Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent
Keywords: Firmware Engineer, Radar, Electronic Warfare, DSP, VHDL, FPGA, Design, Development,
Signal Processing, Tcl, Modelling, Algorithm Development, MATLAB, Simulink, Low Level Design,
Senior Firmware Engineer – Radar, Electronics Warfare, Communication Systems Surveillance Systems, Airborne Equipment, High Speed Digital Systems
Salary: Competitive plus excellent benefits
Location: Christchurch, Dorset