Senior Safety Engineer
Our client is recruiting for a Senior Safety Engineer and you would be responsible for the planning, execution and delivery of a very exciting Program. You will be also responsible for the Safety and Environmental requirements on behalf of the Programme Manager. Accountable to Head of Safety and Compliance for assurance that our clients programme and product development meets business, regulatory and legislative standards for Safety and Environmental. The purpose of the Senior Safety Engineer role in an engineering capacity is to assure that the programs design solutions provide acceptable levels of safety by managing risk, eliminating or reducing it to acceptable levels. As a key position in the Programme, the Senior Engineer is to ensure the application of safety engineering principles from the start of the design lifecycle stage to reduce the frequency of product failure and ensure that the resulting consequences are managed with appropriate control. The role will be required to manage environmental SMEs in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Management Plan. This position can be based at Christchurch or Marlow and requires minimal travel. The salary is very competitive with excellent benefits.
As a Senior Safety Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Safety, Mechanical, electrical, electronic or aeronautical engineering degree
- Knowledge of the following Failure Mode & Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Assessment, Operating and Support Hazard Analysis and Health Hazard Analysis documentation.
- Able to apply Hazard Identification (Checklist, HAZOP etc), Risk Analysis, Risk Assessment and Risk Management in line with project safety criteria.
- Production of Safety Case Reports in accordance with Def-Stan 00-56.
- Established practitioner of Safety Management Techniques and practices in accordance with DefStan 00-55 and DefStan 00-56.
- Sound understanding of product design lifecycle and the incorporation of safety engineering into achieving a Declaration of Design Performance.
- Sound understanding of EASA safety standards.
- Sound understanding of product lifecycle management
- Production of Def-Stan 00-56 Safety Case reports, Hazard Accident Logs and Environmental Impact Assessment Reports.
- Application of recognisable techniques for elicitation of safety requirements, hazard identification and tracking mitigation actions such as Goal Structure Notation, SWIF analysis, FTA/FMEA and Bow Tie Analysis.
As a Senior Safety Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Generating and maintaining the Safety Case Reports which are supported through evidence and sound safety arguments that meet internal and customer quality standards.
- Generating and maintaining the Hazard & Accident Logs through Hazard ID meetings and management of stakeholders.
- Managing the creation and maintenance the Environmental Impact Assessment Reports.
- Approving design changes for their impact on the Safety & Environmental characteristics of the System prior to their implementation
- Holding the Safety & Environmental documentation and records for the System.
- Interfacing and liaising with the Customer on Safety & Environmental issues.
- Ensure that appropriate systems are established that will monitor whether the intended Safety characteristics are being achieved in service.
- Plan and hold Safety audits.
- Identification and estimations of Safety and Environmental work packages at Programme and Project level.
- Identification on critical safety and environmental resource.
- Review of Safety requirements specified by customer, providing input as necessary, ensuring that validated Safety requirements are derived for the system.
- Identify and manage Safety requirements throughout project lifecycle and assist in the resolution of conflicting/incomplete requirements including the generation of requirement deviations.
- Provide Safety input into contractor SoWs to ensure that supplier deliverables support the system level safety case.
- Participation at formal Design Review and Programme/Project meetings.
- Provide ‘Design for Safety’ approach from initial to detail design phase.
- Ensure industry best practice and better practice principles are applied for safety engineering and management.
Keywords: Safety Engineer, Defence, Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Hazop, Risk, DefStan, EASA.
Senior Safety Engineer
Location: Christchurch, Dorset or Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Salary: very competitive with excellent benefits