Skilled Fitter - Plastics
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Salary: £28,274.04 and then with AO stamp £29,112.04 plus 26 days holiday, Pension, Medical, Life Assurance and many other benefits
Our client is looking for a Skilled Fitter within Plastics to work their early shift. Based in Southampton, you would be working as part of an established team within the transparencies department. This role is highly skilled and will enable the manufacture of Hawk & T45 canopies and windscreens shells from acrylic and terylene. ITAR restrictions are applicable. This role offers an attractive salary and excellent benefits. Hours 06:00-14:15 (Mon-Thu) / 06:00-12:00 (Fri); 37 hours per week.
Skilled Fitter - Plastics essential responsibilities will include:
- Reporting directly to the section Shop floor manager, participate within a team and work with functional specialists (such as engineering, Quality, etc) to ensure production requirements are achieved safely, on time and to the customer specifications.
- Comply with the Company Quality procedures.
- Read and follow work instructions, specifications and part drawings (accessed via PC)
- Read and interpret engineering data, technical drawings, specifications, repair schemes, Manufacturing Procedures (MPs) and other approved maintenance data.
- Hold Approved Operator (AO) stamp for necessary operations / jobs within area. Approve own work when, to the best of your knowledge and belief, the requirements / drawings specification and standards have been fully achieved.
- Accurately complete work route cards to maintain component traceability.
- Participate in LEAN events & improvement initiatives.
- Accurately, cut, trim and, using various moulding techniques, form acrylic and terylene laminate, to tight tolerances.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of layup and production techniques for terylene sheet and details.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of tools required to achieve canopy and windscreen shell builds.
- Demonstrate hand skills to cut, file, shape and scrape acrylic. Also use electric tools and air powered hand tools, as well as bandsaw and machinery.
- Accurately tape work to allow fitting of acrylic and bonding of laminate, avoiding glue spills, chemical burns, and air bubbles within the bond of the materials.
- Understand material properties and the requirement of it to be protected at all times to avoid potential damage/scrap.
- Polish acrylic to specification to achieve optical vision clarity. Remove scratches in the acrylic without distorting visual clarity.
- Mix chemicals and glues.
- Use of ovens, data recording, application of sealants and the manufacture of test pieces.
Skilled Fitter - Plastics candidate requirements:
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent in Engineering or Manufacturing, or Time-served apprenticeship in allied trades
- Numeracy, literacy and IT skills, and able to read and understand technical documentation, including via computer/IT equipment.
- Good planning and problem- solving skills.
- Working understanding of the 5 S and lean principles
- Strong work ethic supported by a real positive attitude to succeed.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrate the currency and competency of the key skill codes required within department.
- Great attention to the detail and accuracy of the task requirement
- Proven ability to actively participate in a team culture.
- To be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Shift working required.
- There are certain aspects of this role that require mechanical / manual lifting of parts so some lifting will be required, and applicants must be capable of undertaking activities with appropriate assistance if required.
Keywords: Skilled Fitter, Plastics, 5S, Manufacturing, Engineering, Acrylic, Moulding, Plastics, Terylene Laminate, Automotive, Aerospace, Plastic Moulds
Skilled Fitter - Plastics